The keto diet (ketogenic) is a new trend in dietary nutrition. The keto diet began to gain the most popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural foods in accordance with the needs of the human body with the presence of fat and the lowest carbohydrate content.
The ketogenic diet is an updated version of the low-carb diet.
Principles of the keto diet
The basic principle of the keto diet is foods low in carbohydrates. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of fatty acids in the body. The breakdown of animal fats entering the body with food, without the intervention of carbohydrates, is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
The low carb keto diet is in high demand for obesity among people who want to lose weight or stay in shape.
With minimal or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs quickly, a person begins to lose weight. Fat begins to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the body.
Ketone bodies are products for breaking down fats that are produced by the liver. With active energy expenditure or prolonged starvation to gain energy, the body begins to break down its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fats and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Features of the keto diet
The peculiarity of the keto diet is the replacement of the supplied energy resource - carbohydrates with fats or rather breakdown products - ketone bodies. In order to reorganize the body and on the basis of individual characteristics it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new food system. The peak form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A distinctive feature of the keto diet of all other types of diets is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, low protein content and the presence of fat. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the diet should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, the by-products of animal fats that the body uses to produce energy, must have a fat to protein and carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. To maintain a normal metabolism, the body must receive large amounts of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest are carbohydrates and protein. The caloric intake of products per day should not exceed 5000 kcal. The diet does not limit the time of eating, you can safely eat after 18 hours.
The less a person consumes foods high in carbohydrates, the more effective the hunger suppression diet is.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, followed by protein and last but not least - carbohydrates. The peculiarity of this diet, unlike others, is that salt intake is not limited here, which restores the balance of electrolytes.
In the early days of the diet you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the strict principle of following the keto diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 pounds of weight in a month without harming their health, and reduce the amount of fat.
Athletes are more likely to stick to a cyclic ketogenic diet, burn fat, their bodies become more prominent and muscle mass increases. The reason for this change lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of growth hormone formation. The principle of the diet is strictly regulated by the training plan.
Benefits of the keto diet
The benefits of the keto diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of the skin, hair, nails improves, food metabolism normalizes, metabolism improves and immunity increases.
Studies show that overweight and high-cholesterol people, after a 56-week keto diet, not only lost more than 25 pounds, but significantly improved their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Doctors are advised to follow a diet for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells actively feed on glucose, completely excluding them from the diet and adhering to a diet without carbohydrates, the diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For lovers of independent weight loss, without a doctor's prescription, the easiest diet option is suitable - keto lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
The diet promotes fat burning for efficient energy production, thus contributing to the preservation and economical consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during prolonged intense exercise.
The obvious advantages of the keto diet are general improvement of well-being, emotional mood, surge of energy, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
The ketogenic diet is more of a healthy diet, but only healthy people can stick to it on their own. Before starting such a diet, you should consult a specialist, he will tell you what pitfalls there may be and how best to get out of it in case of deteriorating health.
Disadvantages of the keto diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term adherence can have different consequences.
The disadvantage of the keto diet is that it is not suitable for all people. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With the abrupt transition from a simple diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, and difficulty coordinating.
If the following symptoms occur, you should stop following the ketogenic diet:
- reduced efficiency and impaired concentration;
- increased fatigue;
- unpleasant pungent odor of acetone from the mouth;
- difficulty with digestion;
- bad blood count;
- frequent urination;
- persistent dry mouth;
- decreased appetite.
- deficiency of minerals and vitamins in the body.
Against the background of a diet high in fat ketones may be an excess of ammonia in the blood, which leads to toxic poisoning of the body and disruption of hormone levels.
During the first week of the diet you may experience chills or fever, fatigue, mild nausea, irritability. You should drink as much water as possible. The symptoms usually disappear within a week and the body gradually adapts to receiving energy from fat stores.
Special test strips are used to regulate nutrition, which show the level of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of allowed and forbidden foods on the keto diet
Eating this way should be approached sensibly. The keto diet has a list of allowed and forbidden foods.
First, let's look at what you can eat with the keto diet:
- You can eat all kinds of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- It is allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, salmon, mackerel.
- Wide range of dairy products: fat cottage cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add any spices during cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, fruits and seeds are allowed for breakfast.
- Of the permitted fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something different, it is perfectly acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should contain water, sugar-free tea, coffee, mineral water. You should drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates and they are completely absent in vodka.
- Of the vegetables, low-carbohydrate vegetables are preferred, according to the principle: what grows in the ground can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes), but what can be above the ground, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, green onions, lettuce). All fatty foods go well with greens.
Keto diet is not allowed:
- all types of legumes and cereals - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- low-fat dairy products - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented baked milk, yogurt, kefir, lime;
- sugar, sugar beverages, dissolved juices, soda, candy;
- is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and crackers;
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- food prepared with white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, rolls, pasta.
It is necessary to completely eliminate the consumption of sugar, some fruits and dried fruits.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes should be carefully approached to eating problems.
There are contraindications to the keto diet for humans:
- suffering from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with motor disorders;
- the presence of any chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys;
- gastrointestinal tract;
- with high cholesterol levels.
The ketone diet is not recommended for pregnant women or for certain medications.
Keto diet: Menu of the week
Nutritionists advise to use the principle of diversity. A classic example of a keto diet for a week.
- breakfast - greasy cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with vegetable garnish;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- evening - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - cottage cheese salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey meat with broccoli;
- For dinner you can prepare an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs and bacon and fatty yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken stewed in cream sauce with vegetable garnish;
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - cottage cheese without sugar;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- evening - roast meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad dressed with yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken cutlets with vegetable garnish;
- for dinner - stews and herbs.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and cottage cheese;
- for lunch - stewed beef with mushrooms;
- evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For afternoon breakfast you can eat nuts, avocados, fruits, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the keto diet menu
The most common and simple dish on the keto menu is scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch you can eat some of the meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables for dinner. For breakfast you can eat a handful of nuts. Portions can be both large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple, wholesome meals that do not require additional snacks.
Fish salad:each oily fish is stewed or boiled, cut into pieces, add: eggs, pickles, onions, mayonnaise or 20%sour cream, you can add a few lettuce stalks.
Chicken with bacon stewed in sour cream with mushrooms:strips of bacon are fried in olive or sunflower oil, removed from the pan while cooking, and on theirplace put chicken breasts, fried for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, finely chopped onions, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and simmer for a few more minutes.
Cottage cheese salad:fresh cucumber, onion and Chinese cabbage cut into small pieces, add salt and spices, leave for 10 minutes so that the vegetables givejuice and add greasy cottage cheese, pour sour cream mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many recipes for the keto diet, everyone can choose the best option for themselves from the permitted products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Discontinue the keto diet
After completing the course, in order not to undermine health and get out of the keto diet, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed. To maintain metabolism and avoid stress on the body, you should gradually increase the intake of carbohydrates and proteins in small portions.
Along with fat, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables, cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour products. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the first days of leaving the diet should be from 70 to 100 grams, it is desirable to keep the intake of protein at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Nutritionists' opinions on the keto diet
Nutritionists consider the ketogenic diet to be universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also recommend it to improve health. With proper and strict adherence to dietary prescriptions, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.
Nutritionists have written over 30 scientific papers and many years of research have shown that a ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of blood insulin, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet suppresses the production of warming hormone, which provokes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, reduces the amount of subcutaneous fat.
Research shows that for the treatment of some cardiovascular diseases, the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment.
Eating well is not only the key to weight loss, but also has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
Balanced diet, rich in fat and moderate in protein and carbohydrates for a long time, maintains a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, adequate sleep and there are only natural products.